Why should you become a business analyst?

chrysalisThe following is taken from the eBook for Becoming a New Business Analyst.

Have a read of this and let me know your thoughts…

Why should you become a business analyst?

This is a good question as you need to know your motivations are right before you invest time and money in becoming a successful business analyst.

• Growth market
    Business analysis is a growth market. This role used not to be highly valued and poorly understood but many companies are starting to realise the value of skilled business analysts. Good business analysts have the skills to ensure businesses invest their most precious resources of manpower and money wisely. Indeed, time is an even more precious resource in today’s marketplace where poor investment decisions allow the competition to gain advantage.
    Note: It’s actually very difficult to prove this is a growth market because there are not many reports that identify this role and it is often either mislabelled or forms part of another role such as project manager. In the UK, the eSkills initiative has commisioned a report on the IT & Telecoms sector (of which business analysis forms a part), which shows that skills in this area will grow at a rate of 2.5% per annum for the next decade rather than 0.5% in the rest of the economy (five times faster than the rate for other careers!!).
  • Low barriers to entry compared to other professions
    At present, the role is still very immature compared to that of other professions (e.g. architect, engineer, accountant). Professional qualifications are not necessary but this is changing rapidly with the rise in importance of the IIBA (International Institute of Business Analysis) and the CBAP accreditation (Certified Business Analysis Professional) and, in the UK, the ISEB qualification and other national equivalents.
  • Challenging and demanding job
    Business analysis is a varied and demanding career which utilises many skills including problem solving, relationship management and time management. It can be very satisfying but is NOT an easy ride. It is important that you enjoy a challenge and see that providing you with job satisfaction.
  • Springboard to other careers
    The skills you acquire as a business analyst are very useful in many other roles and will provide you with opportunities to move into higher profile, well rewarded roles in project management, programme management, business architecture and strategy.
  • Use existing industry knowledge
    This can be either general business knowledge or particular to a particular sector which can make you very valuable.
    Tip: This knowledge differentiates you from other business analysts and makes you very marketable. Use this when applying for jobs!

Did you find this useful, incomplete, misleading?

Let me know your thoughts

No related posts.

About Alex Papworth

15 Responses to “Why should you become a business analyst?”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Niraj says:

Dear sir,
    Thanks for giving us an Oppurtunity to clear our doubts with you. Interested to start a career development club and parallely a career counselling portal for kg to pg aspirants. But not getting the perfect idea and plan for this. M having concept but market analyse research on client and target customer not having concept. Please suggest what to do and whom to approach.

2. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i got
    here to go back the desire?.I’m trying to find
    things to improve my website!I assume its good enough to use some of your concepts!!

3. Athena says:

Hi Alex, I am currently in a project manager role and planning to move into a BA role. Do you think its possible for me to move from a manager role to individual contributor ? Also I am confused about the certification to apply CBAP or a BCS certification. Can you please help ? Thanks much!

4. Cheryl says:

Hi,

I am currently working with a BPO as a Process solutions expert, and am keen on pursuing a career as a business analyst, however do not have the technical expertise or an IT qualification.

Can you recommend any courses that can be taken up as certified course with out the IT back group.

Thanks.

5. Abhishek Ranjan says:

I am working in IT firm as business development executive. my qualification is B.tech(IT) and MBA(system and marketing). can i be the business analyst. will it be difficult to change my profile..
    kindly suggest me.

6. Taruna says:

What is the difference in the roles and responsibilities between a Business Analyst and a Systems Analyst? I presume that the latter may involve more knowledge from a technical side. Is there a faint line between the two?
    Is it easier for an engineer to transition to a systems analyst?

• alexpapworth says:

I think you've summed it up well. Every solution covers a spectrum from business through to detailed technical design. All of these have requirements – they just tend to focus on different things.
      The business requirements focus on the business need; the user requirements focus on the user's needs; the system requirements focus on how the user interacts with the system.
      A systems analyst will be more comfortable at the systems end whereas the business analyst will be more comfortable (and focussed) on the business end.

7. Emma says:

Hi Alex,

I hope you can give me some advice.

I am currently in my last year at university studying IT and I wish to start a career as a BA more than any other career within the IT industry.

How would you advise me to get into this career? I have been trying to find some work experiences to do while I am still studying but I can not seem to find anything, do you know of any companies that are keen to take on students for short periods of work experience?

Alternatively do you offer any training programs or work experience for students?

Emma

• alextpapworth says:

Hi Emma

It's great to see you're so enthusiastic – it's a great asset.

Please have a look at my ebook for comprehensive coverage of this – http://businessanalystmentor.com/free-blueprint-f

My advice would be to both be enthusiastic and to look for ways that you can help. Spend some time understanding the company you are targeting and look for ways you can help. Make it seem to be a benefit for them rather than doing you a favour.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet come across companies that have schemes for business analysts.

One day, I will try to solve this problem but, at present, I can't offer anything. When my mentor network grows some more, I will see if this presents any possibilities.

Thanks

8. zoe mclean says:

Hi Alex,

You just mentioned that BA can vary based on the knowledge and it will help to market them selves, can you please explain any base knowledge that a BA should generally have.

• alexpapworth says:

Hi Zoe

I'd advise you to read the eBook to learn more about the key skills. Download it here – http://businessanalystmentor.com/free-blueprint-f….

I believe the key skills are communication, analytical thinking (you like to examine and understand problems), problem solving, quick learner and desire to learn (about new business areas) and the ability to develop good working relationships with people at all levels of the organisation.

I hope this is helpful

Alex

9. pappavis says:

Thanks for an informative interview. I'm eager to see the contents. Mentoring is really crucial for success. I was fortunate enough to have 1 year under the guidance of a senior BA.

I was taught on the job how to

* Create buisness process models;

* Lead requirements workshops;

* How to write a use cases

* Match requirements to use cases

* Communicate with inter team specifications

* manage user acceptance tests.

best of all.. i was being PAID to learn this stuff!! :)

How lucky can anyone get?

Leave A Comment...